Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Week 2

"The truth is, we will never really do all each child needs us to do... The point is not to entertain guilt. The point is to relentlessly seize the remarkable opportunity of a teacher to shape lives – to do the best we can to ensure that we are better at reaching children today than yesterday, better at it this year than last.”

When I initially read this was was very disheartened and hoped for a retraction statement, however it didn't come. I was pleased to see the explanation behind it. As I think about the responsibility of a teacher I think of all that goes into a teacher's typical day: lesson plans, management implementations, reward systems, special needs, etc. It's because of these things and really so much more (the above and beyond things we do: spend time before/after school helping students, being a listening ear/confidant/safe haven, caring about their successes and assisting when possible during failures). It's these things that help to shape student's lives.

I strongly believe that providing students with content is huge! But if we as teachers can't providing them with additional love and support than I think in reality we've failed. I've often heard/seen the phrase, "to teach is to touch hearts forever." My job as a teacher will be to teach content, but my g
oal as a teacher will be to make a positive lasting impression on my students.

1 comment:

  1. All of those pieces to make "positive" and "lasting" impressions.

    ReplyDelete